Thursday, March 8, 2012

Nothing


I have a load of ideas and thoughts for a blog post, but not the will to write them.  Much to say and yet nothing.  So I thought I'd put together a short post about nothing.  





"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life."
Muhammad Ali

How often have you looked back at points in your life and thought "I wish I'd...."  If only we'd had the courage to say no, to say yes, to say stop or go...



"Having nothing, nothing can he lose."
William Shakespeare

Aha - but what if you're prepared have lots and risk losing everything (per Muhammad Ali)? Does that make life more exciting, or empty?



"To live a pure unselfish life, one must count nothing as one's own in the midst of abundance."
Buddha

There's our answer - we can have lots, as long as we don't count any of it as ours. Then, when we have the courage to risk it all, and lose it, we'll feel great about it.  



"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
Socrates

I am so wise....cos I know all about nothing.



"Nothing will work unless you do."
Maya Angelou 

Yup, and that's why I'm here, typing away about nothing on my laptop.



"Nothing that you have not given away will ever be really yours."
C. S. Lewis

I really don't want this old laptop... but I clearly have to hold onto it otherwise I'll never be rid of the damned thing.



"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing."
Theodore Roosevelt

So true.  As I said, this is why I'm sitting here doing something about nothing.



“Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
Alexander Hamilton

Yes.  It's important not to stand when lying down is an option.



"Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."
Lao Tzu

I actually do take wisdom from all these wonderful quotes.  From these wise folk who knew so much and yet so little and thought so beautifully about nothing.



"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
Ernest Hemingway
Darn it, I've nothing to sharpen the kitchen knives on but my wits...



William Shakespeare wrote, in King Lear, "Nothing can come of nothing, speak again." I feel I have proved him wrong. Though I shall speak again, nonetheless.

(c) Naomi Madelin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will you return to read the next post?